The following tutorial covers the process of making Totem Media Player play encrypted DVD's. This tutorial assumes that your using Debian Linux or a distro based purely on Debian. It will allow you to have your own Debian DVD portable media center.
If you're getting error messages like the following, this tutorial is for you:
Totem could not play 'dvd:/ There is no plugin to handle this movie.
An error occurred: The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. Are you trying to play an encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?
Table of Contents
How to play encrypted DVD’d with Totem
- Open a terminal and type sudo su (or alternately open a root terminal)
- Type gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
- Add the following line to the end of the list and save (replace etch main with lenny main if your using lenny) :
deb http://debian-multimedia.org/ etch main
- Back at the terminal, type apt-get update
- Type apt-get install debian-multimedia-keyring (then press Y to accept)
- Type apt-get install libdvdcss2 (again press Y to accept when prompted)
Note: You may need to restart in order to see the changes.
Totem media player paying decrypted video