How to Install Gentoo on USB. The following how to tutorial explains one way to create a Gentoo Live USB bootable flash thumb drive using Windows, a Gentoo Live DVD, and the Universal USB Installer tool.
Table of Contents
Gentoo Live running from a Bootable USB
What is Gentoo Linux?
Gentoo is a popular Linux distribution that is known for its flexibility, customization, and performance optimization. Named after the Gentoo Penguin, it was created by Daniel Robbins with a goal to create a smaller portable Linux distribution that only included required programs.
Unlike some other Linux distributions that provide precompiled binary packages for software, Gentoo is a source based distribution. This means that, instead of distributing precompiled binaries, users download and compile the source code of programs on their own machines.
Key features include:
- Portage Package Management System: Uses Portage, a package management system that automates the process of downloading, configuring, compiling, and installing software. Users can customize compilation options for each package, allowing for fine-grained control over system optimization.
- USE Flags: It introduces the concept of USE flags, which are compile-time options that allow users to enable or disable specific features for a package. This level of customization helps users tailor their software to their specific needs.
- Rolling Releases: It follows a rolling release model, which means that users can continuously update their system to the latest software versions without needing to reinstall the entire operating system.
- Optimization for Performance: Since it allows users to compile software from source, it provides the opportunity to optimize the system for specific hardware architecture and performance requirements. Users can choose compilation options and optimizations based on their hardware specifications.
Keep in mind that Gentoo is considered a distribution for more experienced Linux users due to the level of manual configuration and customization it involves. It's often chosen by users who appreciate the control and fine tuning it offers.
- Distribution Home Page: Official Gentoo Linux Site
- Founder - Developer: Daniel Robbins
- Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 4 GB+
- Persistent Feature: No
Essentials to make a USB Bootable Gentoo thumb drive
You need the following to make the Live USB Gentoo:
- An up and running Windows OS
- Computer capable of running a Bootable USB
- USB flash thumb drive
- Gentoo Live DVD ISO
- Universal USB Installer
How to Create Bootable USB Gentoo
Completion of this guide should result in having a portable Gentoo distribution up and running from a bootable USB device:
Note: Running Gentoo from USB performs just like the Live CD. However, implementing a persistence feature is currently outside the scope of this tutorial.
- Download and then launch the Universal USB Installer
- Select Gentoo and then follow the onscreen instructions.
- Reboot your PC and set your system BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device. Save your changes and then reboot.
Upon reboot, you should finally have a successful launch of Gentoo USB Linux from your USB memory stick.